FAQ about MM2H

How long does the approval/process for MM2H application takes?
Once a complete documents are given, then approximately it takes two(2) to three(3) months to obtain the approval.

Who can I include in my application?
Your application can include your wife and children below 21 years old. You can only include your parents after obtaining the visa. However, your parents visa is only for six(6) months. Thus, your parentes need to renew their visa every six(6) months if they wish to stay in Malaysia longer.

What can I do under the programme?
You can registered a company and operate your own business in Malaysia. If you are above 50 years old, you are allowed to work 20 hours a week but subject to the Ministry approval . Otherwise you are not allow to work under this program.

If you have a Malaysian wife/husband, may you still apply for the MM2H program?
Yes, you may apply for MM2h visa if you have a Malaysian wife/husband.

Do I have to move to Malaysia as soon as I get the MM2H visa?
You do not have to move to malaysia or even spend a minimum amount of time each year. The visa allows you to come and go as you please.

Can I withdraw my fixed deposit any time during my stay in Malaysia?
After a period of one year, the participant may withdraw part of his/her fixed deposit for approved expenses relating to house, education for children in Malaysia and medical purpose OR when he/she decided to terminate his/her stay in Malaysia by first informing the Ministry of Tourism of his/her intentions. Those below 50 must maintain a minimum RM150,000.00 at all times. Those above 50 must maintain a minimum RM100,000.00 at all times.

Can I place the fixed deposit in a Malaysian bank located in my country?
No. The fixed deposit account must be opened in any Malaysian bank or financial institution located in Malaysia.

Am I allowed to withdraw my fixed deposit for a few months and then topped it back later?
No. Participants are required to place their fixed deposits on annual auto renewal basis.

Can I transfer my Fixed Deposit Account tagged under MM2H Programme from one bank to another?
No. MM2H participants are not allowed to transfer Fixed Deposit Account tagged under MM2H Programme.

Do kindergarten level child need a Student Visa to attend kindergarten here?
Children below the school going age (that is 7 years old) are not required to apply for a Student Visa. They need only to apply for permission to study at Immigration Department.

If my children are already married and want to study in Malaysia with their husband, do they need to pay the fixed deposit?
Not necessary. They can apply for a Student Visa once they have obtained places of study in Malaysia.

Do I have to purchase a property if I am approved?
The programme does not require any property purchase.

Do I need to obtain prior approval from Foreign Investment Commitment(FIC) for the purchase and sale of my house?
Participants under this programme are not required to obtain prior approval for the purchase and sale of houses from FIC. However , they must write to the Ministry of Tourism giving details of the house (location as well as price) so that a letter can be issued to them certifying that they are eligible to purchase the said property under this programme. In addition, they are required to send a copy of the approval letter obtained from the respective State Authority which has authorized the purchase or sale of the property concerned to FIC for information.

Must foreigners buy new Malaysia property only, such as from developers, or can they purchase any property, such as from individual owners (second hand or third hand property)?
Participants can purchase any type of housing properties provided that they have been issued with CF (Certificate of Fitness).

Is a participant who buys a second-hand local car eligible for tax exemptions?
If you want to buy a car free of taxes then it has to be a new car. If you wish to import your own car from overseas then you must owned it for at least 6 months before you applied for the visa.

If I had a car accident and as a result I need to change the car, do I have to pay back the tax exemptions?
Given the following situations:
i. If the car is repaired and sold it will be subject to the applicable tax/duty according to the prevailing rates.
ii. If car is written off, taxes will be waived.
iii. If the participant wishes to buy another car, their application will be processed on the merit of each case. Under normal circumstances a participant of this program is allowed tax exemption for a car on a one time basis.

When can I sell the car, which has been given all the tax exemptions?
Cars that have been exempted from taxes and duties under this program can be sold or its ownership transferred provided the prevailing taxes and duties on the car have been paid prior to the transaction. However, for imported cars the condition stipulated in the AP should be complied before any sale or transfer can be permitted.

Where can I get the online car purchase exemption form?
Click on the links below to download the forms:
Guidelines for Tax Management Information System-User Manual
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Digicert

How to apply

Start your next journey in Malaysia!

Apply MM2H Now!